YouTube Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 1.9 billion
YouTube was created by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim (previously employees at PayPal) in 2005. Google bought it in 2006.
YouTube is the largest video-sharing social network. More video is consumed on YouTube than any other social network. YouTube is also the world’s 2nd largest search engine after its parent company Google. While YouTube leans towards younger demographics, it also shares it’s popularity with older demographics.
Viewers spend an average of 1 hour per day watching YouTube videos. Of the 30 million active users per day, there are over 300 hours of video uploaded every minute, and over 5 billion video views each day. Users spend an average of 40 minutes per day on YouTube viewing videos.
Social video is an effective way for businesses to connect with their audience. Businesses that are visually driven can benefit from YouTube, because it’s a free way of promoting your business akin to a TV commercial, infomercial or interview. Think of it as your own television channel.
Current unique YouTube visitors:
- EU 1.5 billion (Jan 2018)
- USA 184.7 million (2018)
- Australia 15 million (June 2018)
- India 225 million (2018)
Content & Frequency
- Videos can be as simple as an overview of your business and what you have to offer.
- Create videos on your products.
- Create how-to videos on how your products or services can be used.
- Invite customer feedback videos.
- Create videos for promotions, discounts,contests & coupons on offer.
- Create videos on business or industry news
- Choose a specific day and time to post new videos. If subscribers expect new videos on Wednesday at 3pm, they will check your channel for new content each week at that time.
- Best times to post: Thursdays and Fridays between 12 and 3pm.
- Worst time to post: Monday and Tuesday.
- Post length: Videos under 3 minutes & description 5,000 characters.
- Try & make the video informative and fun.
- Promote your YouTube upload schedule publicly.
- Posting a video takes a fair bit work, so make sure you allot enough time to do it.
- Create videos based on a single topic.
- Optimize your title and description.
- Use an attention-grabbing thumbnail.
- Increase users time spent on your channel, it plays a huge role in your videos’ ranking.
- Group videos into Playlists, this can keep people on your channel longer.
- Encourage discussion and engage with your audience.
- Catchy visuals - many videos are viewed with the volume off, so make sure you are giving users something interesting to watch.
- Make it easy for people to find similar videos by creating playlists.
- Create a feature video to pin to the top of your page introducing your brand or highlight a new product.
- Include a call to action, giving the user something to do after they watch (or during) the video.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.