Twitter Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 336 million
Twitter was founded by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams in March of 2006.
Twitter is one of the most popular go-to sources for what’s happening in the world in real time. Twitter can drive traffic to your blog or website, promote your products/services and increase your influence on the social web. Twitter can also help get your blog posts or website indexed quicker by Google. There are 500+ million Tweets sent each day, about 6,000 Tweets every second.
Twitter has approximately 100 million daily active users. It's important to engage these users & begin conversations, that will result in Followers. People who follow you not only see your Tweets, they're likely to become brand advocates and customers. Twitter provides fast access to large audiences, and real-time customer feedback.
Twitter Total ad engagements were up 91% year-over-year.
Current active Twitter users:
- EU 330 million (Jan 2018)
- USA 72.3 million
- Japan 50.9 million
- UK 18.6 million
- Brazil 10.1 million
- India 10.1 million
- Mexico 9.1 million
- Australia 4.7 million (June 2018)
Content & Frequency
- A concise Tweet makes an impact. Keep each Tweet focused on one specific message & include a link if you want them to read further.
- Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks than tweets without images.
- Video tweets are 6 times more likely to be retweeted than photo tweets.
- Incorporate relevant hashtags to expand your reach and tap into relevant conversations.
- Ask questions, do Twitter polls or engage on public conversations.
- Best times to post: Friday mornings or Wednesday 3pm-5pm.
- Worst time to post: Sunday morning. After 8pm every day. After 3pm Fridays.
- How often to post: 3 tweets a day, 5 tweets per day the optimal amount.
- Post length: 80 - 140 characters, but has extended to 280 characters.
- Don’t tweet too much. Followers could tire of your tweets & stop following you.
- Engage more than you broadcast. Curate and connect with Retweets and replies.
- Check out trending hashtags on Twitter & then join in on the conversation (keep it relevant - e.g. A sports shop jumping in on a convo over #tennis).
- Search keywords and hashtags that relate to your industry and audience, and engage in conversations.
- Instead of spamming your business, become an industry resource of information.
- Use data to make decisions after analyzing what’s working and what’s not.
- Having topical content in your video will likely make your video 32% more likely to be viewed past 3 seconds and can lead to 11% higher completion rates.
- Add a follow button to your website, include a link to your Twitter profile in your email signature, and promote it offline such as business cards, etc.
- Ask your employees to follow you and Retweet your content.
- Ask for Retweets. When someone Retweets your content, they’re sharing your business with their networks.
- Experiment and Tweet different types of content, as it is critical to understand what will resonate with your audience.
- Endeavour not to sell with every Tweet. Instead, focus on creating content that provides value to your followers.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.