Tumblr Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 426 million
Tumblr was launched in 2007 by David Carp. In 2013 Yahoo! Inc. acquired Tumblr. Verizon Communications acquired Yahoo in 2017, and placed Yahoo and Tumblr under its Oath subsidiary.
Tumblr is a microblogging and social networking website with users normally posting visuals instead of written content. Tumblr is a cross between a blogging platform and a social network. However, unlike most other blogs, there is no meaningful stat tracking available for your blog and SEO tools are missing. Both decreasing the chances that your blog can be searched or found from outside of Tumblr.
If your business is trying to reach a younger target group, such as teenagers and students, most of the Tumblr’s users are under the age of 34 with 52% being male and 48% female. Tumblr is geared more towards building a community for sharing news items and images, and has more than 158 billion published posts and approximately 396 million blogs. Tumblr averages 1.1 billion posts published and 7.2 million new blogs created each month.
If you find Twitter to be text limiting to say what you want to say, Instagram not versatile enough or traditional blogs complicated and time-consuming, then maybe Tumblr is for you. Even though it is limited in global performance, it has a large community with a broad audience, and companies are finding creative ways to drive their brand and sales growth.
Current active Tumblr users:
- EU 794 million
- USA 23 million
- Australia 3.7 million
Content & Frequency
- Tags are very popular on Tumblr and will help get your content noticed.
- Best times to post: Monday to Thursday 7pm and 10pm, or any time Sunday with 4pm being most popular Nights are the busiest times, no matter the day of the week. Night is when the highest reblog and like activity happens If you want less competition, mornings are slower, so you could try then.
- Update & Post length:
- Blog Title: 50 characters.
- Answer to Question Posts: 140 characters.
- Reply to a Post: 475 characters.
- Ask Message: 500 characters.
- Use quite broad hashtags. The broader your hashtag, the more likely for your posts to be noticed.
- Tumblr lets you add up to 30 tags to a post, but only the first 20 tags work.
- Publish short, punchy, attention-grabbing multimedia posts. They can be longer if you like.
- Allow users to reply to your Posts from the Dashboard.
- Mass edit Posts and Tags.
- Use your phone to make an Audio Post.
- Get a stylish theme.
- Enable the "Ask Me Anything" feature.
- Follow people whose content is similar to yours.
- Be original. Unique posts can spread around Tumblr quickly & encourage people to reblog.
- Post your own artwork, drawing, photography, creative writing.
- Respond to people on Tumblr, because the more people you talk to the more likely you'll get more popular and have more followers.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.