Snapchat Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 300+ million
Snapchat was created by Bobby Murphy, Evan Spiegel and Reggie Brown in 2011.
Snapchat is a video sharing network that documents moments that will never happen again, but these moments don’t stay around for long. Snapchat Stories vanish after 24 hours. This is an advantage to some businesses, because of the temporary nature of Snapchat, you can get away with periods of no posts, because it doesn’t show when you posted last.
There’s a raw quality to Snapchat that captures a playful humour. You may think that’s not what big brands and businesses do, but you’re wrong. Big brands like General Electric combine science, technology and fun by encouraging curiosity about science and young minds through video.
Snapchat offers free lenses (animated filters) which change every few days, a feature that encourages users to keep coming back.
71% of Snapchat users are under 34 years old. In 2014 Snapchat’s largest audience were the 12-24yr range, but by 2016 it was more popular with 18-25yr olds and the 25-34yr range increasing use. Snapchat users aged 25+ years spend an average of 20 minutes on Snapchat daily, and those under 25 years spent on average 30 minutes. Snapchat is more popular with women.
In January 2017 there were 10 billion daily video views globally. In 2018 there were over 400 million Snapchat stories created per day. Snapchat competes closely with Facebook, by reporting more than 10 billion video views daily.
Current active Snapchat users:
- EU 255mill (Jan 2018)
- USA 77mill (2018)
- UK 90mill (2018)
- Australia 6.3mill (June 2018)
- China BANNED (2017)
Content & Frequency
- Include text and emojis with your Snapchat stories
- Go behind the scenes with some raw footage, as a video less produced, feels more real.
- Plan your Story ahead of time, but still be spontaneous at other times.
- Tweet, post, or share fun Snaps that you’ve taken on other platforms.
- Post length: 3-10 second full-screen vertical video ads.
- How often to post: As much as you like, but not too much. You won’t be missed if you skip a day or more!
- Best times to post: 10pm - 1am.
- The Snapchat audience wants to know what your headlines are today. What happened yesterday was old news.
- Give your audience transparency, they want an unvarnished look at who you are and who the people in your company are.
- Don’t go corporate. Keep it light & fun, with lots of action & personality… while keeping on-brand!
- Get your unique URL from Snapchat and share it on other platforms.
- You can draw in impressive detail by turning on your phone’s zoom feature.
- Experiment with filters.
- Experiment with 'info' filters - speed, temperature, time, and altitude.
- Edit your Snap with Tint Brush.
- Edit stuff out of your Snaps with Magic Eraser.
- Enhance your Snap by changing the backdrop.
- Add artistic flair to photos in Memories.
- When your followers send you a message, you can then reply with a pre-constructed image containing a discount code or some other call to action.
- Switch between the front and rear camera while recording.
- Share your Snapchat profile across other networks ( www.snapchat.com/add/YOURUSERNAME ).
- Add links to Snaps.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.