Pinterest Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 200 million
Pinterest was founded by Evan Sharp, Ben Silbermann and Paul Sciarra in 2010, and has subsidiaries Instapaper and Jelly (app).
Pinterest is an online pinboard for collecting visual pieces of multimedia. Most visitors used to use Pinterest for ideas & inspiration for purchases, now just as many are using it to seek out items to purchase. Pinterest has made itself a brand powerhouse, L’Oreal, Carnival Cruise Line & eBay are great examples. There are more than 1 billion Pinterest boards with more than 100 billion Pinterest pins. On average 2 million users save shopping pins on their Pinterest boards per day.
Pinterest to date has been primarily a network used mostly by women, with 81% of Pinterest users being female. Demographics with Pinterest continue to change, and has had a 50% increase in men joining. In January 2018, 40% of new signups were Men and 60% of new signups were Women. Millennials are using Pinterest as much as Instagram. The median age of a Pinterest user is 40, even though the majority of active pinners are below 40.
Pinterest was the fastest independently launched site to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors.
Current active Pinterest users:
- EU 200 million (Jan 2018)
- USA 75.5+ million (Jan 2018)
- Brazil 13 million (July 2018)
- Australia 270,000 (June 2018)
- China BLOCKED (March 2017) Accessible in Hong Kong
- India 7.8+ million (March 2018)
- Russia 7.4+ million (March 2018)
Content & Frequency
- Pin your products, promotions and blogs.
- RePin infographics that will boost user confidence in your business.
- RePin products & services that compliment or provide a use for your products or services.
- How often to post: At least 5 times a day is good, but no more than 10 times per day.
- Best times to post: 2am – 4am.and 2pm –4pm. Also 5pm on Fridays and 8pm–11pm. on Saturdays.
- Post length:
- Pinterest board description: 500 characters.
- Pin description: 500 characters.
- Add an ‘on-hover’ Pin It button to the images on your website.
- Designate boards to represent your business.
- Pin inspiring images.
- Optimize your Pins for SEO.
- Strategically name your images.
- Include links back to your website.
- Add a description & hashtags with effective keywords to each Pin.
- Title boards with keywords.
- Create a profile that captures your business.
- Apply for Rich Pins on your website or blog.
- Create 'Pin it for Later" links.
- Create images at least 1600px wide for images on your website or blog & resize in the HTML. It provides better viewing than tiny images.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.