LinkedIn Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 294 million
LinkedIn was founded by Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Eric Ly and Jean-Luc Vaillant in 2002 but later launched in 2003. It was later purchased by Microsoft in 2016. LinkedIn has subsidiaries SlideShare, lynda.com and Connectifier.
LinkedIn is where businesses & professionals network. Businesses that offer professional services, and individual professionals who offer services, should have a LinkedIn presence. It’s demographic is 35 years and older, with the 24 - 34 year bracket increasing. Most of its users are adult college graduates & making over $75,000. Over 3 million companies have created LinkedIn accounts. LinkedIn makes up more than 50% of all social traffic to B2B websites & blogs. 61 million LinkedIn users are senior level influencers and 40 million are in decision-making positions.
Like Google+ it has a higher male user base (but only slightly), with 57% being male with 43% of the users are females.
It is not checked by users as regularly as other networks, with most logging in every few days, unless they need to seek professional opportunities or to network. LinkedIn has 10 million jobs listed on it’s platform. There are also over 20 million registered company pages on LinkedIn and over 19.7 million SlideShare presentations have been uploaded to the platform. SlideShare now has 70 million monthly active users.
While video is booming with other social networks, articles without video are performing better than those with video on Linkedin.
Linkedin performs well with Google too, because every article you publish on LinkedIn is indexed and will show up in Google searches.
Current active LinkedIn users:
- EU 260 million (Jan 2018)
- USA 149 million
- India 47 million
- China 41 million
- Brazil 33 million
- UK 25 million
- Canada 14 million
- Mexico 11 million
- Indonesia 10 million
- Australia 4.5 million
Content & Frequency
- Post simple news & articles with images to catch users’ attention & engage, 98% of posts with images receive more comments. Posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate.
- How often to post: 2 - 4 times a week.
- Best times to post: Tuesday to Thursday 3pm - 5pm.
- Update & Post length: The average length of a post that converts is 248 characters.
- Company update: 700 characters.
- LinkedIn Publishing content length: ~120,000 characters.
- Recommendation: 3,000 characters.
- On your profile clearly state what your business is and what products & services it offers.
- Ensure your profile information is current & up-to-date.
- Join Groups which have members that are in your target audience.
- If you are a freelancer or work for yourself, it helps to show credibility in your profile.
- ‘Motivated’ is one of the most overused words on LinkedIn, so try to be original
- Create a Company Page.
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.