Google+ Showdown 2018
08 Aug 2018
Active Global Users: 395 million
Google+ is a social network owned by Google and launched in 2011.
There are over 28% of Google+ users aged between 15 - 34 years. It has a higher average male user base than most other networks, with 73.7% of the users being male while 26.3% are female. It is very popular with photographers and visual businesses, because of it’s high quality graphics and photo resolution. A Google+ user will spend approximately 3 minutes and 46 seconds per visit.
It’s important not to think of interactions when it comes to Google+, but rather about reviews of your business by customers and the indexing of posts by Google bots. Encourage your customers & clients to join your circles and leave reviews, because there aren’t too many of us who buy without checking reviews everywhere.
Make Google+ a vital part of your business’s SEO plan. New content posted on Google+ is almost immediately crawled by Google, which can help your SEO efforts. Any interactions are a bonus. Which could be why Google+ is used by 40% of marketers as a social platform. Your Google+ page gives you another avenue to put your brand front and center in search results. For businesses, Google+ is an indispensable tool because it’s integrated into everything Google is doing online, including YouTube & Google Maps.
Google+ Communities are groups created around a specific interest or industry by either an individual or a business. Unlike Facebook, Google+ Communities puts the user in control of what they want to see. If someone is following your Collection, they’ve opted in to see more of you and your content. Communities can have more than one owner or moderator, they also allow other users to join a Community and post their own content (much like a really fancy forum). Communities allow other members to see your posts in their home stream.
Google+ Collections lets you create content around topics and interests, and allows your followers to choose the type of posts they want to see from you. Collections can be shared publicly, privately or with specific sets of users. You can decide if people who follow you will automatically follow any of your Collections.
Current active Google+ users:
- Australia 55,000
- USA 217+ million
- India 71+ million
- Brazil 23+ million
- UK 20+ million
- Canada 16+ million
(Google keeps much of its social media statistics data private, so these are mainly close estimates
Content & Frequency
- Don’t forget to hashtag your posts, as they benefit search.
- Google+ lets you stylize text within posts and comments. To italicize, sandwich your text with underscores _like this_; to make text bold, use asterisks *like this*; and to create a strikethrough effect, use dashes -like this-.
- Don’t just let your posts float around in your timeline, assign them to Communities & Collections, where more people can see them. These are the two features its user base utilises the most.
- Post length: 60 characters.
- How often to post: Twice a day, at least 3 times a week.
- Best times to post: 9 – 10am, the best time is 9am Wednesdays.
- One of your goals should be to create a thriving and engaged community around your product or service, Google+ Communities can do that.
- Your Communities are only as strong as your moderating team, as they keep the stream populated with interesting content and clear of spam.
- Include social share buttons on your website’s pages, as they can increase popularity by 700%.
- Build up your business page. Here, you can update your business listing, add photos, and share content that makes your page more valuable. All of that information is pulled directly into Google’s business listing for brand searches.
- Mention (or "tag") someone in a post or comment by typing "+" or "@" and then the person's name.
- When having a private conversation with a friend or multiple friends, share an update like you normally would, but remove "Public" and any other circles from the share box. Then, tag your friend or friends using the "+" syntax mentioned above.
- The Google+ mobile app allows you to view posts from people in your geographic area - labeled "nearby".
Web Producer, Creative Director, Content Creator & Distributor at clearFusion Digital, & specializes in helping businesses plan & grow their website.